I obtained a BSc Honours Degree in Psychology from Bradford University in 1986. In 1992 I completed my PhD, also at Bradford University, in neuropsychology which examined the role of memory, language and learning in persons with amnesia and Dementia of the Alzheimer Type. I was a Research Assistant for 4 years in a neuropsychology research programme at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield whilst completing my PhD, and this equipped me with a thorough grounding in neuropsychology theory and practice and knowledge of a wide compendium of neuropsychology test batteries, their administration, interpretation and use in clinical practice and rehabilitation.
In 1994 I completed my professional training in Clinical Psychology at Leeds University and was awarded an MSc Clinical Psychology with Distinction, also receiving the James Mencher Research Prize. I developed knowledge of the systematic use and application of psychological therapies to a wide range of difficulties and disorders, furthering my experience in extended clinical neuropsychology placements, and developing clinical knowledge and experience of adult mental health problems associated with common difficulties (anxiety and depression) and serious and enduring mental illness and psychosis (schizophrenia and bipolar disorder), and personality disorder (complex trauma) and substance misuse.
My interest and routine clinical work in adult neuropsychology, and wider adult mental health including depression, anxiety, psychosis and personality disorder (complex trauma) continues.
Continuing Professional Development is very important and I have completed a substantial number of post-qualifying courses. A selected sample are depicted below:
- 1996 Thorn Diploma in psychosocial interventions for psychosis. Manchester University
- 1998 Teaching qualification. Manchester University
- 1999 BPS 17 day course in Applied Clinical Neuropsychology led by Professor Barbara Wilson
- 2000 Certificate in Management. Gloucestershire University
- 2001 White Hart Clinical Psychology leadership and management course
- 2005 Ashridge Leadership Process. Ashridge Business School
- 2009 HCR-20 v2 and SVR-20 Violence Risk Assessment. Accredited by Cardiff University
- 2009 Dialectical Behaviour Therapy. British Isles DBT Trainers
- 2010 Approved Clinician Training and Accreditation. NHS Wales
- 2012 Working with child attachment ,abuse and neglect. Child Centre for Mental Health
- 2013 Working with risk and complex families. The Maudsley Hospital
- 2013 Assessment and diagnosis of autism and ASD. Accredited by ‘Beginning with A’
- 2013 Eye Movement and Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR) Parts 1, 2 and 3. EMDR Extra
- 2016 Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory IV. Pearson.
I worked for the local Mental Health Trust in Gloucestershire 1994-2007 and received an award for effective communication between NHS staff and service users and their families which was linked to the development of a Diploma course (Thorn), training multidisciplinary professionals to work with serious mental illness. I was Project Lead for the Gloucestershire Recovery in Psychosis (GRIP) team 2000-2007 which received an award from CSIP/NIMHE for its demonstrable clinical service effectiveness. Since then I have worked in a private and freelance capacity.
I became Visiting Professor of Mental Health in 2007 at the invitation of the University of the West of England (UWE) in recognition of a comprehensive research publication record and substantial delivery of training for mental health colleagues of all disciplines. I continue to conduct research and retain links with UWE and Gloucestershire University. I continue to examine PhD and Masters theses.
From 2010-2016 I worked at Second Step in Bristol which is a charity for homeless people, where I was Clinical Director overseeing staff training and supervision, completing successful contract bids to deliver psychological therapy and conducting research. Professor Davis continues to work in a consultative capacity for Second Step.
I have worked as an Expert Witness since 1995 and regularly produce Psychological Reports and appear in Court to give evidence in complex cases involving children and adults also involving risk. I provide neuropsychology reports and assessment of Capacity and Fitness to Plead.